TUD Logo

TUD Home » ... » Faculties » Faculty of Computer Science » Our History

Faculty of Computer Science

Our History

Table of Contents

[1. History of the Faculty of Computer Science]
[2. History of computer science at the Dresden School of Engineering]
[3. History of computer science at the Technische Universität Dresden]
4. Exhibition about historical computer engineering

     

1. History of the Faculty of Computer Science

Computer science is a rather young science. With the development of computers it emerged as a separate discipline besides mathematics and electrical engineering.

Compared to other German universities, computer science at the Technische Universität Dresden has a quite long tradition. Computer science in Dresden has its roots at the university itself and the former Dresden School of Engineering. In 1986 both educational establishments joined their computer science branches to form the Computer Science Center of the Technische Universität Dresden.

In 1990 the Faculty of Computer Science was founded, committing itself to the heritage of its predecessors. Since then, the Technische Universität Dresden was enlarged now having 14 faculties resembling science and engineering, humanities, social sciences and medicine. Some selected fields of applied computer science are still located at other faculties. So computer science focused on business and economics is located at the Faculty of Economics and medical computer science is located at the Faculty of Medical Science Carl Gustav Carus.

     

2. History of computer science at the Dresden School of Engineering

Neubau Dürerstraße 1901
zoom Neubau Dürerstraße 1901
total view before 1945
zoom total view before 1945

1861 Dresden Municipal Vocational School founded on proposal by Karl Wilhelm Clauß.
Jan 1926 Dresden Technical School founded.
1952 Renaming to Dresden Technical School of Mechanical, Electrical and Precision Engineering.
1953 Renaming to Dresden Technical School of Heavy Mechanical, Electrical and Precision Engineering.
1955 Renaming to Dresden Technical School of Lightweight Construction
1956 Renaming to Dresden School of Aircraft Construction
Neubau Dürerstraße 1958
zoom Neubau Dürerstraße 1958
reading room in the library
zoom reading room in the library

1962 Renaming to the Dresden School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
29th Apr 1969 The Dresden School of Engineering founded with sections:
  • Section of Information Processing
  • Section of Information Electronics
Prof. Eberhard Buzmann becomes principal.
The course of study on Information Processing has a duration of 7 semesters. In 1972 the course is changed to an academic education with a duration of 8 semesters. That course leads to the award of Diploma of Engineering. Now teaching and research in computer science in Dresden is together with the respective section of the Technische Universität Dresden greatly extended.
1st Oct 1975 Prof. Erich Trzeba becomes principal.
1st Feb 1980 The School of Engineering gets the right to confer the doctorate degree.
2nd Oct 1984 Prof. Host Tzschoppe become principal.
4th Oct 1986 Unification of the Dresden School of Engineering and the Technische Universität Dresden. The Dresden Computer Science Center is set up, constituting of the Sections of Information Processing of both institutions.
common room in the students' dormitory
zoom common room
PC usage
zoom PC usage
BASIC laboratory
zoom BASIC lab.
BASIC laboratory
zoom BASIC lab.
ESER EC1022
zoom ESER EC1022
RS4000 computer
zoom RS4000

     

3. History of computer science at the Technische Universität Dresden

1st May 1828 Opening of the Dresden Educational Institution of Technology.
23rd Nov 1851 Appointment to Royal Saxon Polytechnic School.
1st Feb 1871 Renaming to Royal Saxon Polytechnic, now Saxony's highest school of technology.
3rd Feb 1890 Renaming to Royal Saxon School of Technology of Dresden.
1890 Dresden School of Technology gets the right to confer the doctorate of engineering.
13th Feb 1945 Destruction of Dresden during British-American air raid. The campus got destroyed by 85%. The school ceases operations.
1st Oct 1946 Reopening as School of Technology.
1949 N.J. Lehmann designs an autonomous arithmetic, control and memory unit based on a magnetic drum.
1952 N.J. Lehmann designes a computing machine at the Institute of Applied Mathematics at Dresden School of Technology.
Sep 1956 Foundation of the Institute of Automatic Computing Technology at the faculty of mathematics.
1956 Setup of a first course in computer engineering within mathematics, combined with theoretical research by N.J Lehmann.
1956 Completion of D1 the first electronic computer of Eastern Germany by N.J. Lehmann.
1959 Completion of D2 an electronic computer based on electron tubes.
5th Oct 1961 Renaming of Dresden School of Technology to the Technische Universität Dresden.
1963 Professor N. J. Lehmann at the Institute for National Computing Technology at the TU Dresden completes the D4a, a universal table computer based on transistors with integrated input and output that can fit on a table. The first table computer D4a, which is the size of a television, is quoted by some as being the world’s first personal computer, as defined by those words.
2nd Feb 1968 In the course of the "3rd International Colloquium of Current Demands of Computing Technology" held at the Institute of Automatic Computing Technology the term "Informatik" was introduced, denoting the new discipline of computer science.
22nd Oct 1968 With the 3rd Reform of Higher Education the institutes get replaced by sections.
1st Jan 1969 The Section of Information Processing at the Technische Universität Dresden is founded. Now higher education and research in computer science get a decent foundation at DUT. The course of study in Information Processing requires 9 semesters of study and finishes with the degree of Diploma of Engineering. The conferral of doctorate degrees is performed by the Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
4th Oct 1986 Unification of the Dresden School of Engineering and the Technische Universität Dresden. The Dresden Computer Science Center is set up, constituting of the Sections of Information Processing of both institutions. Prof. Horst Tzschoppe becomes the new director. Per annum the Computer Science Center admits 400-500 students and becomes the largest educational institution for computer science of the German Democratic Republic. The final degree for the course of Information Processing gets renamed to Diploma of Computer Science. The Faculty of Electrical Engineering still keeps the right to confer the doctorate degree.
6th Nov 1990 Foundation of the Faculty of Computer Science at the Technische Universität Dresden following the political turnaround. According to preliminary arrangements from 6th Nov 1990 the faculty is subdivided into:
  • Institute of Computer Engineering
  • Institute of Theoretical Computer Science
  • Institute of Systems Architecture
  • Institute of Operating Systems and Computer Communication
  • Institute of Applied Computer Science / Control Systems
  • Institute of Information Systems and Software Technology
  • Computing Center
The Faculty of CS at UD is the largest institution of its kind in the eastern part of reunified Germany. All four major fields of CS which include computer engineering, theoretical, practical, and applied computer science are covered in education. Study structure and regulations are now in accordance with the general rules of the Association of Universities and other Higher Education Institutions (Hochschulrektorenkonferenz).
11th Nov 1990
Prof. Helmut Adler
Prof. Adler
Constituent sitting of the democratically elected Council of the Faculty. Prof. Helmut Adler is elected as dean.
19th - 22nd May 1991 A colloquium is held in honour of Prof. em. Dr.-Ing. habil. Dr. h.c. N. Joachim Lehmann by occasion of his 70th birthday. It is hosted by the mathematics subdivision of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
7th Jun 1991 Our Faculty of CS gets a full member of to the "Fakultätentag Informatik" (the association of CS faculties of Germany) at its 37th plenary session.
25th Jul 1991 The ‘Saxon Higher Education Modernization Act" (Sächsisches Hochschulerneuerungsgesetz) comes into effect. The modernization of Saxony's higher education institutions has now a legal base.
10th Apr 1992 The subsumtion of computer science within the DUT is approved, as a new law gets adopted, regarding Saxony's system of higher education.
15th May 1992 The 39th plenary session of Fakultätentag Infomatik is hosted in Dresden by our Faculty of CS.
1st Oct 1992
Prof. Erwin Stoschek
Prof. Stoschek
Prof. Helmut Adler retires and Prof. Erwin Stoschek becomes the new dean.
1st Oct 1992 The honorary doctorate is conferred on Hans-Olaf Henkel.
Dec 1992 Staff from Dresden Pedagogical School joins the Faculty of CS. The education of teachers of computer science for secondary and grammar schools now takes place in our faculty.
1st Jan 1993 Our faculty becomes restructured into:
  • Institute of Theoretical Computer Science
  • Institute of Computer Engineering
  • Institute of System Architecture
  • Institute of Software Technology I
  • Institute of Software Technology II
  • Institute of Operating Systems and Communication
  • Institute of Artificial Intelligence
  • Institute of Information Systems
  • Dean's Office
  • Examination Office
  • Computing Center
3rd Oct 1993 The "Gesetz über die Hochschulen im Freistaat Sachsen(SHG)" (Higher Education Act of the Free State of Saxony) get adopted and replaces older law.
27th Sep - 1st Oct 1993 The 23th annual meeting of the German Informatics Society (Gesellschaft für Informatik (GI) ) is hosted by the Faculty of CS.
28th Sep 1993 Ceremonial hand over of the Heinz-Nixdorf Endowed Chair for Multimedia Technology to the Faculty of CS, TUD.
4th May 1994 Prof. Erwin Stoschek gets elected for dean.
13th Jul 1994 Based on the new law adopted on 3rd Oct 1993 the Faculty of CS gets new regulations and a new structure:
  • Institute of Theoretical Computer Science
  • Institute of Computer Engineering
  • Institute of System Architecture
  • Institute of Software Technology I
  • Institute of Software Technology II
  • Institute of Operating Systems, Databases and Networking
  • Institute of Artificial Intelligence
  • Institute of Information Systems
  • Operational Unit: Computing Center
18th Jul 1994 Doctorate regulations come into effect. The Faculty of CS now confers the doctorate of engineering as well as the honorary doctorate of engineering.
27th Sep 1994 Based on the new law adopted on 3rd Oct 1993 new study and examination regulations come into effect. For the course of computer science the standard period of study is 9 semesters. The diploma of computer science (Dipl.-Inf.) will be conferred as academic degree.
2nd Feb 1995 A new Ph.D. program starts off, titled "Tools for effectual employment of parallel and distributed computer systems".
22nd - 24th Mar 1995 The GI holds a symposium in Dresden, titled "Database systems for office, technology and science" (BTW95).
9th May 1995 Opening of the Reference Center for High Performance Networking and Multimedia at TUD, situated at the Faculty of CS building.
31th May 1995 Opening of the Heinz-Nixdorf Endowed Chair for Multimedia Technology. The chair's holder is Prof. Klaus Meißner.
20th Jun 1995 The Technische Universität Dresden gets new basic regulations based on the SHG.
22nd - 25ht Aug 1995 10th International Conference "Fundamentals of Computation Theory" held in Dresden.
1st Oct 1995 The course Postgraduate Study in Software Engineering starts off. The course will take 4 semesters and can be finished with the degree of Diploma of Software Technology(Dipl.-Softw.Technol.)
1st Dec 1995 The honorary doctorate is conferred on Prof. Dr. phil Rul Gunzenhäuser.
29th Jan 1996 Study, examination and admissions regulations regarding the course Postgraduate Study in Software Engineering come into effect.
14th Feb 1996 The common postdoctoral regulations of TUD come into effect for the Faculty of CS.
27th Feb - 1st Mar 1996 IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Platforms (ICDP 96) in Dresden.
15ht Mar 1996 A honorary colloquium is held by occasion of Prof. N. Joachim Lehmann's 75th birthday.
17th -19th Sep 1996 20th German Annual Conference on Artificial Intelligence held in Dresden.
1st Jan 1997 A new Ph.D. program starts off, titled "Specification of discrete Processes and Process Systems by means of Operational Models and Logics".
3rd - 6th Mar 1997 8th Symposium on Software Ergonomics held by GI in Dresden.
5th May 1997
Prof. Heiko Vogler
Prof. Vogler
Prof. Heiko Vogler gets elected as dean.
10th Oct 1997 The Faculty of CS starts the International Masters Programme in Computational Logic. The duration is 4 semesters. As academic degree a German Diploma and Master of Computer Science will be conferred.
1st Oct 1998 The course of study on computer science starts its new semester based on new study and examination regulations of 8th August 1998. The duration is 9 semesters with Diploma examination and 6 semesters for a bachelor's degree, which can now be obtained.
1st Oct 1998 For the course Postgraduate Study in Software Engineering new study, examination and admission regulations of 2nd September 1998 come into effect.
1st Jan 1999 New doctorate regulations of 14th Jan 1999 come into effect. The Faculty of CS now confers the academic degrees Dr.-Ing. or Dr. rer. nat. and Dr.-Ing. E.h. or Dr. rer. nat. h.c.
7 Jul 1999 The revised Higher Education Act of the Free State of Saxony (SHG) of 11th Jun 1999 comes into effect.
29th Sep - 1st Oct 1999 3rd Intern. Workshop on Information Hiding (IH'99) held in Dresden
1st Oct 1999 The new course "Multimedia and Computer Science" starts. The duration of study is 6 semesters for a bachelor's degree or 9 semesters for a diploma degree.
1st Oct 1999 Together with the Faculty of Electrical Engineering the Faculty of CS starts the new course of study on Information and System Technology. The duration of the interdisciplinary course is 6 semesters for a bachelor's degree and 10 semesters when finished with a diploma degree.
1st Jan 2000 The Faculty of Computer Science becomes restructured:
  • Institute of Theoretical Computer Science
  • Institute of Computer Engineering
  • Institute of Software and Multimedia Technology
  • Institute of System Architecture
  • Institute of Artificial Intelligence
  • Institute of Applied Computer Science
  • Operational Unit: Computing Center
16 May 2000
Prof. Alexander Schill
Prof. Schill
Prof. Alexander Schill is elected as dean.
20th Dec 2000 The Pupil's Computing Centre is preserved due to a plan supported by TUD, the city of Dresden and the state of Saxony. It is now associated with the Faculty of CS as an operational unit.
2nd - 17th Feb 2001 18th International Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS'2001) held in Dresden.
Aug 2002
Hochwasser 2002
Flood in August 2002
The main building of the Faculty of Computer Science was severely damaged by the flood of the century. (Total damage: 1 million Euro)
30th Sep - 4th Oct 2002 Fifth International Conference on the Unified Modeling Language (UML 2002) in Dresden.
9th May 2003 Re-election of Prof. Alexander Schill as dean of the faculty.
Oct 2003 Founding of the International Center for Computational Logic at the TU Dresden.
22nd Oct 2003 Laying of the foundation stone of the new building of the Faculty of Computer Science.
18th Nov 2003 Celebration to celebrate the laying of the foundation stone.
1st Apr 2004 Opening of the Heinz-Nixdorf Endowed Chair in Systems Engineering at the Faculty of Computer Science. (Holder of the endowed chair: Prof. Dr. Christof Fetzer)
17th Jun 2004 Inauguration of the Heinz-Nixdorf Endowed Chair in Systems Engineering at the Faculty of Computer Science.
22nd Jun 2004 Mr Joerg Michael Thielges of IBM is awarded with the Medal of Honor of the TU Dresden and the Faculty of Computer Science and a SUR Grant is handed over to the Faculty of Computer Science.
14th Sep 2004 Official topping out ceremony for the new building of the Faculty of Computer Science.
1st Oct 2004 The faculty introduces an international Master's Programme in Computational Engineering. The standard period of study is four semesters. Master of Computer Science (M.C.S) will be conferred as academic degree after completion. The study and examination regulations of the international course of study Computational Engineering come into effect.
15th Nov 2004 The faculty celebrates the topping out of the new building.
15th Dec 2004 The Pupil's Computing Centre (SRZ) at the Faculty of Computer Science celebrates it's 20th anniversary.
13th/14th Jul 2005 Opening of the SAP Research CEC Dresden close to the Faculty of Computer Science. At the same time the "Center of Excellence on Advanced Software Architectures" began it's work.
1st Jun 2006
Prof. Wolfgang E. Nagel
Prof. Nagel
Prof. Wolfgang E. Nagel gets elected for dean.
9th Oct 2006
Einweihung
Hand-over of keys
Official delivery and grand opening of the computer science new building
The faculty celebrate the delivery of the new building with a party.
October 2006
Informatik-Neubau
The new building of the faculty of computer science
End of October 2006 all Institutes and Facilities of the faculty of computer science are in the new building.
4th Dec 2006 Professor Luis Moniz Periera, of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa/Portugal, receives a honorary doctorate from the TU Dresden.
1st Oct 2007 The faculty starts training school teachers in the Bachelor of Education Computer Science, General Education program of study, which requires 6 semesters of study. The study and examination regulations for this degree are enacted.
1st Oct 2007 The faculty initiates the same degree for vocational schools, which requires 6 semesters of study. The study and examination regulations for this degree are also enacted.
15th/16th May 2008 Symposium - "Computer Science in the GDR"
3rd July 2008 Professor Lutz Heuser, Vice President of Corporate Research SAP AG, Walldorf, receives a honorary doctorate from the TU Dresden.
6th - 12nd July 2008 The 2008 Central European Olympiad for Computer Science, CEOI, is held at the Faculty of Computer Science
1st Oct 2009 The Faculty initiates the Bachelor of Computer Science program of study, which requires 6 semesters of study. The study and examination regulations for this degree are enacted.
1st Oct 2009 The faculty initiates the Bachelor of Computer Science Media program of study, which requires 6 semesters of study. The study and examination regulations for this degree are enacted.
1st Oct 2009 The Center for Information Services and High Performance Computing (ZIH) adopts the Faculty's Computer Center (FRZ).
8th - 10th Oct 2009 The faculty celebrates its "40 years of computer science at the TUD" anniversary event
14th Nov 2009 The new law regarding the higher education institutions in the Freistaat Sachsen (Sächsische Hochschulgesetz - SächsHSG) is adopted by the Saxon Landtag.
1st Oct 2010 The Faculty of Computer Science institutes the Modular Graduate Study of Computer Science Program.
15th Nov 2010 Memorial service for Professor Dr. rer. nat. Andreas Pfitzmann
13rd Dec 2010
Prof. Stefan Gumhold
Prof. Gumhold
Professor Dr. rer. nat. Stefan Gumhold is chosen as Dean.
19th Dec 2012
Prof. Baader
Prof. Baader
Herr Prof. Dr-Ing. Franz Baader is chosen as Dean.
Last modified: 12th May 2015, 10.33 AM
Author: Ing. Silvia Kapplusch

Contact
Ing.
Silvia Kapplusch

Phone: +49 (0) 351 463-38465
Fax: +49 (0) 351 463-38221
e-mail contact form